Friday, February 22, 2008

This industry is too small


Chuck (not his real name - like I'd know someone called 'Chuck') isn't hilarious. Chuck is a dick. Sure, Chuck thought he was funny, to the point where he'd perform for the studio prompting at least one animator to ask to be moved away from him (true story).

Thing about Chuck (still not his real name) was, he had some creative talent. And the director here gave him every chance in the world to advance beyond most people in the building. But he was lazy, chaotic, and blew every chance he got. If he hadn't moved on to 'better things', he was going to be let go because he disrupted the work of everyone else.

I was glad to see him go. He had begun to piss me off.

But it's actually impossible to escape someone in this business. It's too small. His influence is still felt and he's been gone probably two years now. I think it should be law that, if someone leaves your company, they should have to move abroad.

An Addendum: Addendum? Is that a real word or did I just make it up? Anyway, Tool made a point in the comments that I'd just like to take up. He was saying that, precisely because the business is so small, I shouldn't be talking shit about anyone. And he's absolutely right.

But there would be no pleasure in talking shit about some hypothetical 'Chuck' who nobody knows. No, that's not really the point of the post. The point is that small industry. That you'll see the same people over and over. And it's exactly the opposite of talking shit in a way - in order to stay in the business, you have to remain professional and not talk shit because you can be damn sure someone will find out. But I'm not sure it's possible to talk shit about someone you're not naming and have any effect one way or another. He's just a guy who I didn't like and that's something I'm sure you'll all relate to.

Think how it will be if I have to sit across the table with anyone from Chorion.

3 comments:

Toole said...

Isn't that why you should be careful about talkin shit like this. Careful man.

Bitter Animator said...

Hmmm... I see your point. The point of the post isn't to talk shit though. I mean, there'd be no pleasure in talking shit about someone if I couldn't say who it was, and I wouldn't. It would just be a purely hypothetical rant.

But the point, and I guess your post backs it up, is that it is such a small business that you have to take the bad as well as the good because there's nowhere to run to. So bad eggs will keep on turning up.

Fact is, this 'Chuck' is just some random animator. He could be one of a hundred people.

But you make a good point so I'll add and addendum to my post.

Mr. Trombley said...

Dear Sir, You expressed an interest in my "Noise" music posts. The first is done. I didn't use any examples, because I haven't got to "sound masses" yet.

Addendum - noun - An addition to a written document. Addenda is the plural.